Wednesday, July 16, 2014

I got the Laundry Day Blues!

I was doing laundry yesterday, and it occurred to me that I have come full circle.

First, it was just the two of us generating laundry, and I had a washer and dryer set that was over twenty years old.

Then we had a baby, and we bought a brand new washer and dryer set. It was a good thing we did, because I used cloth diapers on that baby and the next one. I did a lot of laundry.

Even after the diaper stage, I still did a lot of laundry, because they were girls, and girls wear a lot of clothes, especially when the teen years come. I actually had nightmares about laundry - piles and piles of laundry; ever growing, the colours getting mixed up with the whites, and I just couldn't sort them all - it was horrible! My friend Nita told me that I must have sorting issues.

So what do I do, with the laundry day blues?
I wrote a poem, of course! Now wouldn't you?


Laundry Day Blues
By Karen Gross, August 11, 2009.


Sheets and towels, pillow cases, jeans;
I see them in my sleep!
The loads are piling up again;
It makes me want to weep!

A load of whites, a load of darks;
Will this sorting ever stop?
And gentle care for underwear
So our knickers don’t end up in knots.

I check each label carefully;
Harsh lessons made me wise.
My brand new blazer, oh so chic;
Shrunk down to half its size!

I'm grateful for my laundry room;
For my washer and dryer too.
Grandma used a scrubbing board;
For nine babies, not just two!

Oh yes, I have the laundry blues;
And whites and pinks and purples too.
All washed and dried and folded nice,
Next week it starts anew!


July 16, 2014: Hard to believe it, but my girls are all grown up now.  Megan still lives at home, but she has been doing her own laundry for the last couple of years, ever since I accidentally put a load of her drip dry clothes in the dryer.

I was thinking about this yesterday, while I was sorting laundry. I am back to doing laundry for two again, and once again I have a washer and dryer set that is more than twenty years old. Yup. Full circle.

No comments:

Post a Comment