Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Is there such a thing as a second world country?

You know, I have written and read a lot about First World Problems, and the gaping chasm that is the third world, but I don't know that I have read anything about the Second World. Is there such a thing? I could google it... everything is on the internet now, and there is no excuse for lazy journalism -- but I'm not a journalist, and this is not a research project for a class, it's just a blog and it's supposed to be stream of consciousness writing. Why is that? Why am I defending myself to myself? Whose voice is up there, arguing with me? And why have I gone so far down a rabbit trail that I can't even remember what I was going to say about the Second World?

Looking for a voice of reason, I don't think I will find one anywhere in my brain tonight. I should just go to bed now.

I remember now, why I was thinking about the gap between the First and Third worlds, so I won't go to bed just right away. I con't speak for everyone because I am just thinking random thoughts, but I am thinking that most people think that they are the Second World, like the geopolitical equivalent of the quintessential middle child. "Marsha, Marsha, Marsha! If you are young enough to not get that tidbit of pop culture, then you are young enough to just google it. I am going to bed now.



No comments:

Post a Comment