Monday, April 27, 2020

Draft Dodgers



Draft Dodger: I am my own worst enemy.

Draft Dodging is my new term for my seeming inability to finish and publish any piece of writing, from these blog posts to my novels and other writing that I am working on. I take frequent strolls through my morgue files, in search of any lifesigns that I may have missed on the first ten or twenty times I re-examined these particular specimens. 

Some drafts just need a really good last line and some polishing. Every once in a while I get a burst of inspiration and I finish those. Most of the time I have no idea where I was going with that one. Problem is that these bursts seldom occur anywhere near my laptop, especially since my laptop isn't as portable now as it was when it had a battery. I have forgotten why Jed took the battery out, since I bought a new laptop, but then the new one was totalled as an unfortunate bystander during one of my falls. I have no idea how, but it went flying off my desk as I went flying in the opposite direction. Just as well, I hated that thing. Did one of my surviving brain cells plot revenge without my knowledge or consent? I wouldn't put it past me.

Where was I going 50 or 75 words ago? Oh yes, my draft graveyards. I was going to add to my excuse list my lack of any ability to save ideas the old fashioned way, by chiseling my ideas into a flat rock. No, I am just kidding, I am not that old. Back in my school years, we had already progressed to making marks on paper with a number 2 pencil. 

This post should probably go back to the morgue. I'm calling it: time of death, 6:45 pm. I brought it up from the morgue at around 11:00 this morning, so it is only getting posted because I decided to be more honest about how crappy my writing usually is.





No comments:

Post a Comment